It’s days like this that make me really appreciate my home here on the Sunshine Coast where nature is literally right outside your front door. I took a bike ride up Inlet Highway with my daughter, Paige. We stopped at Burnett Falls on the way home, and I made this little movie. I actually enjoy the stream below the falls more than the falls itself. I love the sound of it. Happy Earth Day everybody.
My book Murphy’s Law is on sale starting today in the United States. As part of a special Amazon countdown deal, you can buy the book for only $0.99—a whopping 73% off. The price will rise in four equal increments through the week until it reaches its regular price of $4.95 on April 23rd. So buy early and often.
Hi Guys. Seems like a lot of us are stuck at home these days surfing on our computers, so I put together this Spotify Playlist for you. It’s kind of a mixed tape for the times called These Days. You can play it for free while you surf the net. Stay safe, stay well, #StayHome.
Hi Guys. Since a lot of us are sitting at home these days surfing the net or chatting with friends on social media, I thought I’d send you out this Spotify Playlist. It’s called Sad Songs to Stir the Soul, and full disclosure, the songs are pretty sad. But I find a sad song is just what I want sometimes when I’m feeling a little low.
The list is free to play if you have a Spotify account. It’s also free if you don’t have an account, but you may hear an ad between songs now and then. Enjoy!
Hi guys. So sorry, but I guess I spoke a little too soon about getting the band back together. The Bowie part of Millar-Bowie has decided to opt out of our date on Saturday at the Gibsons Public Market. Paula has a sore throat, and they have decided to avoid public events for the next while because of the coronavirus. I totally understand and respect their decision.
I’m going ahead with the event and will be performing two 45-minute sets as a solo performer as I’ve done in my last two appearances there.
I’m sure you’ve heard this before, but just as a reminder…
- avoid public events if you’re not feeling well
- maintain a distance of two arm’s lengths from others, especially if they are sneezing or coughing
- wash your hands frequently and keep scrubbing for 10 seconds, which is about the time it takes to sing happy birthday. I like to insert the word “corona” for the name while I’m scrubbing, although for the virus, it’s the opposite of a birthday.
Stay well everybody, much love…
I’m really looking forward to getting the Millar-Bowie Band back together this weekend. We’ll be playing a 45-minute set in the atrium at the Gibsons Public Market on Saturday, March 14th. The show starts at 2:30 p.m. with a solo set by yours truly, and then Jim and Paula Bowie will join in for a second set at about 3:45 p.m. We’ll also have Jack Polesser with us on drums.
I’ve been playing as a solo performer quite a bit the last little while. It certainly has some advantages: You get to win all the arguments, and you don’t have to share any of the money. But there’s nothing quite as satisfying as joining with other musicians to weave a nice, tight tapestry of sound that connects with an audience. Hopefully, that’s what we’ll be doing on Saturday. Please drop by if you’re in the neighbourhood.
Hi guys. I just wanted to say thanks for all your views, likes, comments etc. related to my recent YouTube video: A Valentine for Carole. There was a time when I used to smirk at the social-media obsessed that had to check their daily scores on all platforms to tally up their self worth. And now, it turns out that I am one them, just as bad if not worse.
There is, however, another less self-centric reason that I am pleased with the attention the video garnered. It is clear from the comments received that it was Carole and our love for each other that resonated with people. In our modern world, where hate seems to capture more and more of our attention, it was encouraging to me that our story—essentially a love story—was able to capture people’s attention and give them a moment of pleasure on a day that’s supposed to be devoted to love.
Here are a few of my favourite comments:
- Arwen E. MacDogooder, Facebook: “Oh my God. That’s so freaking adorable.”
- Paula Bowie, Facebook: “She is a beautiful catch!”
- Gemma Cowan, Facebook: “What a lovely expression of your love and life together.”
- Shirley Jones, Facebook: “Amazing. What a superb valentine gift. Thank you for sharing. Made my day.”
- Donetta Byrd, Twitter: “Sweet video and catchy tune! What did she think?” Reply: She said, “That’s so sweet. I hope it doesn’t go viral.”
- Isabella, Twitter: “Love the song !!!”
- Demian Pettman, You Tube: “Great tune! Very catchy and sweet. Nice vocals Paula 🙂 Happy Valentine’s Day Carol ❤ Thanks for sharing a bit of your life!”